Sunday 28 July 2013

The Karen Carpenter Story

Salam
Yesterday I was listening the vibrant music by the Carpenters.
Suddenly I found this one tribute movie.
The story about Karen Carpenters. She was one of the Anorexia Nervosa victim.
She looks too thin at the end of her life. Yes, suffering.


The story really can make me cry though. She was struggling with the psychological illness plus with all the hectic life and challenges.
She was too young to die actually. She was died at the age of 31. Yes. Too young isn't it?


Below is video of  the Karen Carpenters Story. 

 

According to the one who uploaded the movie,
"The Karen Carpenter Story is a TV movie that aired on CBS on January 1, 1989, telling the story of the rise and fall of the brother-and-sister pop music duo, The Carpenters. It was directed by Joseph Sargent. Richard Carpenter served as a producer for the film as well as the musical score.

The movie was very popular in the ratings; it was the highest-rated two-hour TV movie of the year and the third highest rated such program on any network during the 1980s. Although the film's attempts to show the life of Karen Carpenter are usually accurate, there are a few minor dramatic factual inaccuracies. This movie was not easy to make. The idea for a movie based on Karen's life had been floating around since about 1985 or 86. However, it was impossible to find someone to write the script for it. Once it had been approved by the studio and Richard Carpenter, there where daily script "rewrites or entire scenes were removed" according to Cynthia Gibb and Mitchell Anderson, in an attempt to soften the image of Agnes Carpenter by her son in real life. The final movie in, Gibb's opinion, gives a "white-washed" account of Karen's life. Gibbs also said that a lot of the information in it was "watered down or removed altogether" at the demand of Richard Carpenter.

A further example of this appeared in an article in 1988 where it's mentioned Richard produced a bag containing Karen's musty clothing and ordered the actress playing her to wear them then demanding Cynthia Gibb lose the required weight in order to fit into these clothes. Cythia Gibb states: I lost weight as Richard wanted and he was there watching over me in every scene. It was unnerving having to wear Karen's clothes, right down to her clingy T-shirts and crumpled bell-bottoms. I donned a wig and used Karen's make-up. By the time I was finished I felt I WAS Karen.

She was also quoted as saying " "there was no time to research and I had my drum lessons during my lunch hour". Even though she had starred for two years in Fame, she said it was still insisted upon her to take voice lessons to do the lip synching.

A crew member talks about the experience: Frankly, we were very glad he (didn't play himself). He was a pain in the backside, so oversensitive and close to the action he almost screwed things up. When we spotted him on his knees praying to Karen he was saying: "Forgive me, forgive me..." The misgivings he had were painfully obvious. You could almost see him wrestling with things in his mind. It was as if he felt that Karen would never have approved. He whispered to one of the boys: "I'd give my right arm if she were here now." The guy just hasn't been able to let go (and now) the film lacks an independent balance."


Left: She's too thin. She looks better, a lot better on the right side.

With her brother, Richard Carpenters

I love Carpenters

She's pretty if she put on some weight, isn't it? Saddening the fact she feels that being too thin is beautiful.
If I was during her era, maybe I will cry for her. The fact she does kill herself by not eating. Hurm.
And seriously I will not starve myself. I know I have to lose some weight but I will not sacrifice my life by not eating just to get skinny.


p/s: I adore her voice although I felt sorry for her. Rest in peace, Karen. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...